Friday, August 04, 2006

Fall Seed Starting

Half Dome in Yosemite Valley
Now that I have returend from my trip to Yosemite, I am ready to start germinating some flower seeds for my fall/winter garden.

If you live in the Bay Area, it's time to start some of your fall seedlings too. I am using Uncle Tom's Method to start some flower seeds. This method works really well in the fall, when it is too hot to germinate the seeds outdoors. I collected these Calendula, Stock, and Corn Flower seeds from the plants I grew last fall, so we will see how well they germinate.

Stock seeds


Cornflower seeds



Calendula seeds



Spray a coffee filter with water, sprinkle some seeds on half of it and fold it over to cover the seeds, then spray the top with water again. Place it in a labeled, plastic bag. I keep them on my dining room table, where there is no direct sunlight, and a consistent temperature. Check daily to make sure they don't dry out. Spray with water if necessary. In about 10 days they should all germinate.

5 Comments:

At 5:14 PM, Blogger Shane Marie said...

Thanks for sharing this method! Do you plant torn pieces of the coffee filter after germination, or do you take each seedling individually? Do you transplant them to cells, or put them right into the ground? Either way, I'm going to try this, as I inevitably botch seed sowing every time!

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger Jeanne said...

shane marie

I remove each seedling individually and transplant them into dixie cups, then when they are larger I transplant them into the ground. I keep the dixie cups in old black plastic nursery flats, so they easy to move around. In the fall, since the nights are warm, I can keep them outdoors, in an area where they won't get full sun, just afternoon sun. In about a week, I will explaing these steps with photos, as these seeds germinate. I did a demo before with beans, if you want to see the old post.

http://uncletomsgarden.blogspot.com/2006/04/beans-beans-their-good-for-your-heart.html

 
At 6:38 PM, Blogger Jeanne said...

sorry that link is not complete. check my post dated april 6 for more info on the bean germination.

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger Memory Lane said...

Wow! Is that the way how to germinate seeds? How much percentage of growth can you get out of this method? I'll let my parents try this method! Thanks for sharing!

 
At 7:17 AM, Blogger Jeanne said...

nutbuk

I have been getting 100% germination rate. More flowers then I ever imagined.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home