Sunday, March 26, 2006

Calendula



Calendula is becoming one of my most favorite flowers in the garden. I germinated these from seed, between wet paper towels, last August, then transplanted them into raised beds in the Fall. They have been blooming for months now.



They are easy to grow, and low maintenance...........and low maintenance is my #1 requirement for any plant.




They come in so many colors and have so many uses. The ones in the photos are a mix of Calendula officinalis, Deja vu and Pacific Beauty.




They are edible and medicinal. They have antifungal, antiseptic, astringent and anti-inflammatory properties......and look great in a salad!



I add the fresh flower petals to salads. I dry the entire flower heads, and use them in herbal baths or when making lotions and salves, and make tea with them too.



This year I found seeds with pink flowers (Calendula Antares Flashback) from Johnny's Seeds . I started the seeds on February 2 between wet coffee filters, and transplanted them into dixie cups a week later. Now they have their second set of leaves and can be transplanted into my raised beds any time or as soon as it stops raining! I like to use them as a border plant, because they attract beneficial insects, and make the vegetable beds look beautiful.

2 Comments:

At 3:38 PM, Blogger David (Snappy) said...

i love Calendulas.My mum grew them in her garden but they freely self seed if the flowers go to seed.I think they are so pretty with their bright orange petals.They have a lovely smell too on the leafs.Im waiting to see if any germinate where they were last year.

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger Jeanne said...

Yes, after only one season, they are now a prolific weed! I love it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home