Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Vegetables in the Front Yard..........

I am really going over the edge now........,no, no, no, I'm just running out of space. I need a bigger yard. I really just want to create a completely edible landscape (that darn class I took convinced me lawn is bad for the environment), so its only natural a few veggies will start finding their way into the front yard. It's not full sun, due to a tree with a very large canapoy, but I think lettuce and herbs would do fine. But that won't stop me from at least trying cucumbers, beans and squash, because you never know till you try, and I just like to experiment. Who know's, maybe one year raised beds will replace the small lawn area.

This trellis is just too perfect for the long vines of summer zuchetta squash, an heirloom that can grow up to 25'. Thats why I couldn't resist. I saved the seeds from last year. It was my first try at hand pollination and isolation, so we'll see if they come back true to form.

They were prolific; you could pick the flowers along with the fairly already large mini squash attached, and stuff with goat cheese, drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and roast. If you let them grow, they qucikly get very long, but stay relatively thin, and tender and delicious.


Runner Beans, Summer Zuchetta Squash and Armenian Cucumber


The chicks don't hang out front, so I have to be very protective of snails. Don't want my little babies, who I nurtured from seed, to disappear over night. So, I put the left over copper barrier to good use.

UPDATE: JUNE 2



UPDATE JULY 2



The front yard trellis turned out great to grow vegetables! Glad I gave it a try.

July 12:


2 Comments:

At 2:58 PM, Blogger Jade said...

And how is lawn bad for the environment? Never would have thought... I mean, grass is good, right? Because it is green?

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Jeanne said...

Well, what I learned in my class was, grass wastes a lot of water, with no nutritional return. And most people put a lot of chemicals into their lawn to keep them green, polluting the environment. Lawn mowers also are big polluters.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home