Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Fall Plant Propagation

Fall is the best time to propagate some of your favorite perennials.I have chosen my favorite lavender, rosemary and a climbing rose. Just snip off about a 5" piece, remove leaves from the bottom 2-3" which you will stick into soil and keep moist over the cool season. I put them in a flat, and will leave it outdoors. Next spring, I will be able to transplant the little plants into my garden.

If you want to get even simpler, just wait till the rain starts, and put your cuttings directly into the soil where you want them to grow, and they will establish themselves over the rainy season. I would recommend putting some kind of protection around them, so they don't get stepped on, etc.

UPDATE: FEBRUARY 17TH

Lots of good root growth since starting cuttings, about 5 months ago. In my mild climate I left the flat outdoors, but protected from the cold with remay cloth. I did water them occasionally, since we haven't had any rain this winter.


New Rosemary plant ready to transplant



New Lavender plant ready to transplant


I'm so glad that I thought ahead to do this. I have now transplanted about 15 new plants throughout my garden, at no cost to me. I can't wait till next fall, so I can propagate some more. These plants will be very low maintenance for me, and the flowers and fragrance will be fantastic.


UPDATE: MAY 18TH

New lavender plants are taking off and growing fast.

3 Comments:

At 1:44 PM, Blogger David (Snappy) said...

Thanks Jeanne,I will try that.It seems simple.I accidently split my rosemary in the growing season.I have three small plants now.The lavender will be cut soon..

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger desperateknitwife said...

i just wanted to say thank you so much for your information and great pictures of this process. who knew you could make so many beautiful lavendar plants from one bush, and so cheap and so easy! THANKS! My dreams of having a lavendar field in my front yard just may come true after all.

 
At 3:23 AM, Blogger Rabbit said...

Hello there! I have a new proud owner of a Lavender so I'm still doing my research on its care.

Your process seems so simple. So every cutting you put into the soil grew roots? Does it root easier than mints?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home