Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Growing Tomatoes

Wow! I didn't realize how much they grew, until I compared with last month's photo's.....

Gold Current

April 10th

May 10th









July 2
The foliage is not healthy on this tomato, but the fruit is delicious. This was the first tomato to ripen this summer.













Yellow Pear


April 10th




May 10th









July 2














Black Cherry, Chadwick's Cherry and Yellow Pear and Calendula Flowers in wine barrel



April 10th



May 10









July 2














I had such great success last year, experimenting with growing tomatoes in containers, I can't wait to see how prolific they are this year. I watered them at least once a day, sometimes twice, gave them a foliar feeding at 50% rate once per week, and a side dressing once per month.


May 17 - Japanese Black Truffle and Polish Pastel




I grew these two varieties last summer for the first time and loved them. They did great in my yard. Started producing very early and stopped producing very late; prolific and very delicious. I saved the seed, choosing one of the earliest and best specimens. I tagged it, and let it stay on the vine until way over-ripe. I then squeezed the tomato into a cup...........seeds, flesh, skin and all, to ferment for a few days. Then i rinsed well and dried.



July 2
Polish Pastel and Japanese Black Truffle in bed #6

5 Comments:

At 12:38 PM, Blogger zuzu said...

Jeanne,

Thanks for all the good advice and hints regarding gardening, which I am just now getting into due to my recent retirement from the work-a-day world.

For the first time, I am growing kabocha squash from seeds that a neighbor lady gave me. The seeds were from a kabocha that she had bought from the grocery store. Is it true that the kabocha won't be the same if it isn't purchased from a commercial seed vendor? The seeds I planted are already sprouting quite well. I live in the Seattle, WA area. Thanks!

Zuzucat

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

We've usually succeeded growing kabocha from saved seed - the main difference in the fruit is that only about half are the preferred stripy pattern, the other half are pale green (which doesn't please my Japanese wife but the taste seems the same to me).

I suppose that, as with any crop, there could be F1 hybrids (a cross of two different varieties) in use, in which case you wouldn't expect their seeds to breed true - but it's not been a problem so far.

By the way, has anyone any suggestions on when they're ready to harvest? I usually wait until the plants die back but I suspect I'm being too cautious.

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

(By the way, we live are garden in Oxfordshire in central/SE England.)

 
At 6:03 PM, Blogger 高合金鋼 said...

美好的生了外送茶,整個人暈倒下來桃園援交妹指油壓,桃園外約,援交桃園外送服務全套3k 。炮友我即忙將她扶住,並且把她放在後座慢慢的濕潤,高雄援交我看時機成熟,揮軍直上,攻佔那緊密的外約"天險"。喔~~喔‥‥我享用著這剛滿16年的原廠貨外送茶,緊密的小縫,援交日記窄小的小徑,台中一夜情夾的我機巴 ...

 
At 6:01 PM, Blogger 高合金鋼 said...

援交日記時空的旅人外送茶【角川春樹1986】 製作:角川春樹 原作:眉村外約  卓(角川書店) 美術監製:男鹿和雄 時空的旅人02高雄援交【角川春樹1986】炮友 時空的旅人 角川春樹 炮友眉村 卓 真崎守指油壓 動漫頻道

 

Post a Comment

<< Home