Thursday, May 11, 2006

Simple Seed Saving

You can make a screen like this out of some salvaged screen and wood. I just leave it outdoors on the table, under the pergola, where it is protected from direct sun. These are calendula and some blue cornflowers. The brown seed to the left are calendula already dried and ready to be stored. The green flower heads are fresh picked calendula, and will take a few weeks to dry before I store.

See the paper bag in the back with the dried up stuff in it, thats my cilantro plant from fall, it was stored all winter in the bag. I just planted some of the seeds a few weeks ago, and they germinated and are growing fresh cilantro in my garden.


Or you can pull entire plants out of the ground and hang in a large paper bag to dry, away from direct sun light. These are stock, I just seperated them by color into different bags.



Or you can just put flower heads in a small paper bag and hang them as well. These are Deja Vu Calendula. The seeds were green when I first picked them, now they are turning brown and drying nicely. After they are dry I will store them in envelopes or glass jars.

1 Comments:

At 8:58 PM, Blogger R said...

aren't calendula seeds funny looking? my first time opening a packet of seeds, i thought that some small worm got in, ate all the seeds, reproduced, and then all died.

i was really freaked out. am still a bit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home