Friday, September 29, 2006

Fall Citrus

Not ripe and ready to pick yet, but had some good growth over the summer months.

Lemons
Limes
Oranges

Problems with ants?

If you have a problem with ants, like I did near this orange tree, you can protect the tree by putting a layer of Tanglefoot on the bottom. It is a sticky substance that prevents the ants (and other insects) from crawling up the tree, carrying disease with them. You don't apply it directly on the tree, first wrap the tree with some stretchy support tape, then apply the Tanglefoot over the tape. This can easily be removedd each year, and re-applied. Now is the time to do it, before the rain starts, and the ants start looking for higher ground.

2 Comments:

At 8:24 AM, Blogger lisa said...

I have also had good luck with the tanglefoot for pest control, with one caveat-I had a chickadee get it's feathers all covered to the point the poor thing couldn't fly. I had to wash him in Dawn dish soap, which barely removed it well enough to help. I put him in a basket by a tree, and he was gone later...hopefully flying again! I decided against using tanglefoot after that, as I'm kind of a bird feeding enthusiast as much as gardener.

 
At 7:23 AM, Blogger Jeanne said...

Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully my chickens won't tangle with it. I'll keep an eye out though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home