Wednesday, April 05, 2006

The Way of Herbs

Perennial Herbs - It's always sad in the winter when they go dormant, but come spring their ressurection is always a pleasant surprise.

Mint and Oregano - they make everything taste better!

Some Medicinal Herbs:








Easy Sore Muscle Salve:


Fill a quaret size jar with dried Arnica, Self-Heal, St John's Wort and Calendula. Fill with Olive Oil, and cover with lid. Let sit in the sun for 3 weeks. Strain. Heat on stove to melt some grated bee's wax in, pour into small jars with wide mouths and let cool.




































Herbal Update:
April 20

Culinary Sage

My favorite early spring bloomer....what a show she puts on!


May 28 - later blooming herbs


Comfrey
- has come back and spreading all over the place. It has some attractive flowers, and is a good addition to a sore muscle salve when dried, or used fresh as a poultice. If you have a morter and pestal, mush it up with a little water, and make a hot compress with it on your sore muscles. DO NOT TAKE INTERNALLY.


LAVENDER
- these few plants I have are so pretty and so fragrant, I don't harvest them, because I just want to enjoy them where they are. When I need more dried lavender I just order it online.

RED CLOVER


Pineapple Sage (a beautiful Fall bloomer) and Rosemary

2 Comments:

At 8:43 AM, Blogger Mind Trip Writer said...

I just found your "Uncle Tom's Garden". I love your organic pictures and backyard . . . makes me wish I had a green thumb

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger Jeanne said...

Hey Katie, I just made some vegan chocolate mouse that is a big hit around here. You need to get some tofu, the kind that does not have to be refridgerated, in the box. Get Silken, exta firm for this. Then get some of those organic dark chocolate chips that they sell in bulk, you only need a handful, maybe 1/2 cup.

Do you have a food processor? (you're mom gave me mine, she got it at a garage sale). Process the tofu by itself for a few minutes so its really smooth and creamy, then add the melted chocolate. And a little sweetener, I used agave nectar, just about a tablespoon, or to taste. Refridgerate for a few hours to chill. It's so good! Amazing, unbelivable. It's protein (right, tofu?)........could be dinner. lol.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home