Friday, June 09, 2006

Basil

A little here, and a little there.......spread it around the garden.

Snuck some in the corners of the Strawberry Bed, where strawberry plants were lost to chickens.

Transplant some in pots.

Same pot a few weeks later...the chickens got 2 of the plants....so I stuck a few nasturtium seeds in place, waiting for them to sprout.

Sharing a bed with mostly lettuce.

Lemon Basil diretly sown into pot about 2 weeks ago.

A few basil plants sharing this bed with tomatoes and cucumbers.

2 Comments:

At 2:44 PM, Blogger David (Snappy) said...

hi jeanne my basil has not germinated.I have yet to try uncle toms method, but i will because i love fresh basil in home made tomato soup and pasta!It makes pesto too,yum yum

 
At 9:39 PM, Blogger Jeanne said...

Basil does like the warm temp to germinate. It won't usually germinate outdoors until june here, so I wait till then to sow it directly outdoors. But I did start some using uncle toms method in April with success. It only took about a week to germinate. Then I transplanted them into individual pots. They had really good root growth in the pots, but didn't grow very big, until I transplanted them outdoors. And it took almost 2 months before they were big enough to transplant into beds outdoors. So be patient. good luck. I picked some fresh tonight and made a saute with some squash, onions, garlic and fava beans, and served it with pasta, garnished with lots of fresh basil. Basil and tomatoes are my favorite too though, can't wait for that day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home