Thursday, June 01, 2006

Community Supported Agriculture, June 1

My 1/2 Share Basket
"as we always caution, the baskets may look skimpy early on, but my mid-summer they will be so heavy and full you will need help getting them in the car!"


I was so excited, today was my first pick-up out at the farm. My basket was a work of art, as you can see from the photo. The lettuce was beautiful, the fava beans (filled the bottom) were the best I've had this season, and garlic and onions were so fragrant!

I only discovered Fava Beans this year, and I am addicted now. Some say they are labor intensive, but to me, it's more exhausting to drive to the store for some convenience food. The gal at the farmers market told me the easiest way to prepare/eat them. You first remove the beans from the pods. Then you drop them in boiling water for 4 minutes (to remove the skin), drain and cool. They pop right out of the skin, and you pop them right in your mouth. Try some.

This is the very simple salad I made with the lettuce and green garlic from my basket. It was especially delicious, these farmers really know what their doing.............

Large bowl lettuce
1 large head/stalk chopped green garlic, tough leaves discarded
1 can mandarin oranges
1/4 cup candied pecans

Sweet and Sour Dressing:

1/4 cup oil
2 T vinegar (I used cider, but red wine is great too)
2 T sugar
salt & pepper

We had never eaten green garlic before. We grow garlic, but never picked it green. It was amazing.........really great in this salad.

4 Comments:

At 5:42 AM, Blogger Stunned Donor said...

I'm craving favas! I dreampt about them last night after I read this post. The produce looks beautiful.

 
At 8:15 AM, Blogger sandy said...

Hi Jeanne,
I just discovered your blog through the Accidental Gardener. Your garden looks great! And how about that green garlic!! I discovered it only a few weeks ago too. It's SOOOOO good! Whereabouts are you in the bay area? I'm up in the Santa Cruz Mtns.
Sandy

 
At 7:06 AM, Blogger Jeanne said...

Hey Sandy - I'm in Redwood City. My sister lives in Soquel, so we do get to Santa Cruz often. I love all the small organic farms in Santa Cruz county. They gather together daily at all the best farmers markets. Your so lucky!

 
At 7:08 AM, Blogger Jeanne said...

Steven - did you get any favas yet? I got another great batch in my CSA basket this week, even more then last week. Can you grow them or does anyone grow them locally for you?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home