Saturday, May 13, 2006

Saturday Farmers Market

Our local farmers market, which goes from April to November, is still not going full swing this year. Due to all the rain, our local farmers didn't get much of a spring crop. But I was able to get some organic green beans today, and with my dill doing so well, I decided to try making some dilly beans.


My first crop of dill was started indoors and transplanted out, but you can see the second crop that was direct sown has sprouted now, among the first crop, and should keep me going with dill for a while.

I just made one jar, kind of a test batch, to see if I even like them.








The recipe sounded good, and should make a good snack, since I am trying to eat mainly a plant based diet now, I'm looking for new ideas.







2 cups green beans
1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup water
3 garlic cloves
5 fresh dill springs
1 teaspoon grey sea salt

Boil the vinegar and water. Stuff the jar with garlic, dill, salt and beans. Pour the hot liquid over the beans and cap. Refridgerate for 6 weeks to infuse flavor.

I do have to wait 6 weeks to see if I like them, but that brings us to the end of Junce, still plenty of time to can lots of green beans for the winter (if I like them).

If I decide to make more and store them, then I will have to can them properly in a hot water bath.

UPDATE: JULY 1


I let them sit for 6 weeks, and finally seved them friday night when I had some friends over, and the little jar went very quick........they were a hit. So on saturday I went to the farmers market and they had some nice organic green beans, so I got one produce bag full of beans and made 5 more jars, large this time.

I used 5 quart size jars, 10 cups of vinegar, 5 cups of water, 2 tsp of grey sea salt per jar, lots of fresh garlic and dill. After I filled the jars, I put them in a water bath for 10 minutes to can them properly, so I can store them on the shelf. I think I will probably make a batch this size every couple of weeks throughout the season, so I have plenty the eat all winter.

3 Comments:

At 10:50 AM, Blogger Stunned Donor said...

I don't know if vodka figures in your plant-based diet, but Dilly Beans are a great garnish for Bloody Marys!

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger Jeanne said...

Thanks for the tip........I did say "plant-BASED", which leaves me open to induldge on anything on occasion. Have you made these dilly beans or do you use a similiar recipe?

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger Stunned Donor said...

I use the recipe in the Ball Blue Book, but I usually add more dill and use a whole chile pepper like a serrano instead of cayenne powder.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home