Friday, May 12, 2006

More May planting....

I just realized I have not purchased one seedling from the nursery this year! I have started all my plants from seed! This is a remarkable accomplishment for me. Thanks Uncle Tom......speaking of.......those Black Eye Susan seeds that came fom Uncle Toms Garden in Maine that I had started back in March are ready to transplant out to their permanent location. They really did great, what a relief....I'm really happy about that.


Basil ready to transplant out into its permanent location.




Valarian is ready to transplant out. These seeds were left in the refridgerator in a bag of soil over the winter. On 2/9 I noticed a few had sprouted, so I transplanted them into a pot, and this in the one survivor. Valarian is a medicinal herb, great for the relaxation border, can be used in a tea at bed time.



These are two Echinacia ready to be transplanted out, that began life just as the Valarian did, and only two survivors out of six.



More Calendula is ready to go out (so easy to start from seed, very reliable medicinal herb, great for the skin, and a great edible flower to add to your salad).

2 Comments:

At 4:23 PM, Blogger David (Snappy) said...

Did you plant your seeds directly into the small pots (like paper cups)?I use seed trays then transfer to 3inch pots once they have two pairs of leaves.As we speak i have morning glories, sunflower little leos, evening primrose, and a mystery seed growing away.I get immense pleasure growing a beautiful healthy plant from seed, taking a photo then saying I grew that.
I get a lot of casualties to make a few prize specimins.Slugs, snails,some fungal rot,too much sun, too much rain etc etc.
I love your blog, you seem amazingly talented as a gardener.I will use your brown bags for seed collecting ideas.Brilliant!!

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger Jeanne said...

Thank you snappy. I start many seeds between wet paper towels and leave them in a baggie on my dinning room table, where the temp is consistent and I spritz them to make sure they stay moist. Once they germinate I transplant them into dixie cups of soil, then when they are ready, they go into the garden beds. I have had the most success with this method. Its great space saving, since I don't have a greenhouse (or an extra room or office, etc). Once they germinate, the cups they go into go outdoors (I can turn a raised bed into a mini green house by covering it with reemay cloth).

Some seeds I found, like squash and cucumbers are best started in soil, either in flats or pots or directly outdoors.

Some seeds like dill and basil germinate great if you just broadcast them directly outdoors, but I start some indoors early in the season to get a jump start.

It's not so much talent as a love for experimenting with new ideas, and not minding if something fails. I just enjoy the process.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home