Thursday, June 08, 2006

Kitcheree.........

with Cilantro

My cilantro is ready to start harvesting. I have been craving a bowl of Kitcheree, waiting patiently for the cilantro to be ready. I seem to make it mostly when I can go out a pick the fresh cilantro for the garnish.

Kitcheree - the "chicken soup" of Ayurveda.
Great cleanse to remove toxins from the body, or while recovering from illness. I enjoy it anytime I'm in the mood.

1 T ghee (clarified butter) or butter
2 tsp ground cumin (or used seed if thats what you are familiar with)
1 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 cup mung bean (soak for 4 hours)
1/2 cup brown basmati rice
5 cups water
grey sea salt to taste

fresh chopped cilantro leaves

Saute the spices in the ghee for a minute, then add the beans and rice and saute for another minute, then add the water. If using a Pressure Cooker, bring to high pressure and cook for 12 minutes. Or else, bring to a boil and simmer covered for 40 minutes. Add grey sea salt to taste. Serve with fresh cilantro.

If your ever in the Santa Cruz area, stop in Dharma's for a bowl. They serve it with a salad, try the Lemon Tahini Dressing. Its the best.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home