Sunday, July 09, 2006

A Gardener's Kitchen

I was away from my garden again this past week, but it survived thanks to the attention of some wonderful neighbors. Only one hanging tomato basket was dried up, but who's complaining.....not me.......the chickens, dogs and cat are all still living. While away.......

I picked-up this cool pot rack in Santa Cruz. I found it on Craigslist before I left, and it was still available when I got there. If you haven't heard of Craigslist, its a wonderful place to buy or sell your wanted or unwanted items. Check for items in your local area.

Very important for gardeners to have a place to store all your dried herbs.
This wall above my kitchen sink was wasted space until my husband built these beautiful shelves out of salvaged redwood. With a little effort he designed his own stencil and cut the wood to make it look like a work of art.


And a place to hang your dried flowers or dry your herbs.
This was a great use of space to hang up a drying rack. It's both pretty and functional for gardeners. My husband made it from pegs purchased from our local craft supply store.


As you can see from the photos I like a little color. We never completely remodeled our kitchen, but updated whatever we could do ourselves over the years. It's amazing what paint can do. Just imagine the wood veneer cabinet doors, and red brick back splash when we bought this place. Something had to be done, and it had to be quick and inexpensive. (Well maybe not too quick, I think it took me about six months to paint the cabinet doors, a few at a time due to kids nap schedule and limited work space, out in the garage. But my husband did lay the nice tile floor in a weekend.....nearly cost him a finger.)



3 Comments:

At 4:48 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, it alll looks very nice! I love the color of the kitchen.

I'm totally going to steal that over-the-door herb drying pegs idea. I have several doorways in my kitchen that would look much better dressed up. :)

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Jeanne said...

How much did he pay you to say that? But I know its true.......and you know I've earned it!

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger David (Snappy) said...

I love the shelfs.They are beautifully made.Your husband is very talented.You make a good team it seems.I want to grow the herbs like you next year..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home