Friday, June 16, 2006

Garlic Harvest

When the garlic turns brown and looks dead and dried up, its ready to harvest.




I am real happy with the harvest from this bed. I got some really good size heads of garlic. Now I will leave it in the shade to cure/dry for about 2 weeks. Then I will invite my mother over to make some garlic braids for me. She's done it for me before and is pretty good at it.

I'd really like to try and save a head or two to replant next fall, so I don't have to keep purchasing it. Does anyone know the best way to store garlic so it will keep till Fall? This is one of those times I wish I had a cellar for cold storage.




This is one head of elephant garlic that was given to me to plant last fall. I'm not sure what to do with it, so I haven't pulled it out of the ground yet. It has developed this huge seed head, so I was wondering if I let it go to seed, maybe I will have some seed to increase my yield for next year? Does anyone know anything about growing or harvesting Elephant Garlic?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home