Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Summer Squash Success


I was so excited this morning to see the first Summer Zuchetta Squash on the vine. This is my experiment this year with vegetables in the front yard (I wasn't sure if there was enough sun) AND my first try at saving squash seed last summer (doing the isolation and hand pollination, etc). I am so happy to see they have grown this year TRUE TO FORM. Which means it is possible for anyone to save seeds...............if I can do it, you can do it!

Squash seeds will remain viable for six years when stored in cool, dry, dark conditions.

For more info see:


My April 8th post, The Cucurbitaceae Family

My May 2nd post, Vegetables in the Front Yard..........

Golden Bush - already picked a few of these.
* This variety liked to sprawl, at least 8', and probalby would have kept going if I didn't pull it out. It was not a vine, that I think it would grow vertically, it was just one huge main trunk, sprawling forward on the ground. It took up way too much space. It really needed a bed all of its own. Maybe I could try growing it verically up a tomato cage. It sure was the most delicious, very nutty tasting.

Crookneck - first on the bush to pollinate. This one is a sprawler as well.

You may notice that the first squash on your bush/vine does not mature, it rots. You would also notice that it was because your plant didn't produce any male flowers yet, to pollinate the female fruit.

1 Comments:

At 4:40 PM, Blogger David (Snappy) said...

glad to see you have posted again.I used uncle toms method for the tomato seeds i scooped out of one, and all fourteen germinated.I love how you grow exotic veggies and herbs.keep on blogging!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home