Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Potato Harvest

These potatoes were planted on February 24th
Yellow Finn, Colorado Rose, and All Blue

All Blue

Colorado Rose

We left a few plants in the bed to let them continue growing. And I still have my other bed of Yukon Gold, that got planted a month later, so I will let them continue for a while longer.

I am going to try and store a few potatoes for replanting next February, so I don't have to continue ordering in the mail. I am going to put them in a mesh bag, and hang them under the house from one of the rafters. It's always so cool under the house, so hopefully they will be happy and protected. We'll see. I wonder if I could just leave them in my refridgerator? Any one have any suggestions? I guess I should have planted them in succession. I could have planted them throughout March in my area, instead of planing all of these variety in February. Live and learn.....next year.

For more info on growing potatoes see my March 27th post, You Say Potato

So now I have an (almost) empty bed....I think I may plant that "catch crop" Amaranth, since I already purchased some seeds, and wanted to give that a try. It's supposed to be very ornamental, and a good carbon crop for the compost.

FAVORITE VEGAN ROSEMARY AND GARLIC MASHED POTATOES WITH CANNELONI BEANS


3 large Baked Potatoes
3 T Olive oil
3 - 5" sprigs fresh rosemary
3 - large cloves of garlic
1 can canneloni beans

When potatoes are baking, chop rosemary and garlic and saute in olvie oil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, and let infuse, pan covered till potatoes are done.

Remove potatoes from skin, mash, add infused olive oil (leaving a little in the pan), salt and pepper.

Heat drained canneloni beans in same pan that you infused the garlic and rosemary. Serve over the mashed potatoes.

9 Comments:

At 8:44 AM, Blogger Stunned Donor said...

Wow! Look at those beautiful spuds!

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

wow, they look spectacular. Must try something more exciting myself next year.

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Christa said...

Beautiful potatoes! I planted some in my garden this spring and wondered if I could also plant a fall crop. Will they grow in the fall, or are potatoes strictly a spring thing?

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger Jeanne said...

christa

I did plant potatoes one fall, and didn't get anything. But I have since heard I could do it, making a mini green house with remy cloth over the bed. I haven't tried it yet though. Maybe this fall.

 
At 10:33 PM, Blogger earlysnowdrop said...

Amazing. Great photo composition and fabulous job growing the potatoes.

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Do you have a good source for remay cloth? I can't seem to find it, unless it's being sold under some other name.

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger Jeanne said...

claire

Check my links section, and go to Bountiful Gardens, if you just want to try it out this winter. Amazon.com also sells it in bulk, so if you like it, I would order it through them next time. They also sell it by the foot at a local garden center, Common Ground in Palo Alto.

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger Jeanne said...

It actually called, Reemay Garden Blanket, and listed under Plant Protection Supplies at Bountiful Gardens.

 
At 4:40 PM, Blogger mary said...

as to your question about storing potatoes... don't put them in the frig. it decomposes them to sugar content. in otherwords, their nutrients get gone. we store ours in a cool dark room. this inhibates the eyes, keeps the taste, and firmness. we grow for winters in Pa. 4 rows on 1/2 acre is potatoes. come spring they are starting to get soft, but we eat our potatoes all winter long. your pics are really nice. never had purple potatoes, interesting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home