Wednesday, January 17, 2007

2007 Seeds

The catalogs started coming in the mail, so I placed my orders (online) and have received my seeds. Its a good idea to order early, in the past I have been disappointed to learn they run out of some varieties if I wait to long.



Renees's Garden - Crimson Carmello, Pompeii, Black Krim, Persimmon and Costoluto tomatoes. Vanilla Berry, Cherries Jubilee and Creamsicle Nasturtium.

Bountiful Gardens - New Sun, Marmande Super, and Cherry Mix tomatoes. Dill and Basil.

Seeds of Change - Early Red Chief, Yellow Perfection tomatoes. Red Iceberg, New York Head, Bronze Arrow, Emerald Oak, Red Ridinghood, Barcarole, Butterking and Carmon Red lettuces.

I am modifying my garden this season, and limiting the variety of vegetables I will grow. Since being diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis a few months ago, I have learned to modify my life so I can avoid being in pain all the time, and stop progression of the disease. I think if I just cut back a little, I can still enjoy spending time in the garden.

I decided to stick with tomatoes, herbs and lettuce. I thought these would require less daily maintenance. We'll see.

6 Comments:

At 5:55 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds like a great list! Have you ever grown the Black Krim before? If you have, and have a few tips to share, I would appreciate it. I didn't have much luck with them the one time I tried them, but would like to try again. I admittedly started them too late and in a "bad tomato year" as I call the cooler summers.

 
At 6:01 PM, Blogger kathy said...

I enjoyed seeing the seeds you have ordered. I will take your advice to go ahead and place my order and not wait too long. I am in the process of deciding what to order. Its almost as much fun as gardening.

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Matron said...

What a wonderful variety of tomatoes! I look forward to hearing how you get on with them. I tried Harlequin last year - they were the earliest by far.

 
At 8:30 PM, Blogger Chef Jules said...

Greetings! I have tried both the Persimmon and Costoluto varieties of tomatoes. Very lovely. I am just now in the planning phases myself and gearing up for the season of sewing and growing.

Are you familiar with the SCD? It is a diet which you may find interesting, if only to acquire a few recipes for your low starch approach. I have no affiliation, but was recently helping to cook with and for a friend who must also modify her diet for health reasons.

Wonderful blog!

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger Chef Jules said...

I'm so sorry. I meant to leave you with the URL for SCD info. http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/

 
At 8:21 AM, Blogger Jeanne said...

It is fun ordering seeds! So many heirloom varieties to choose from. Recently, I have noticed my local nursery selling many heirloom tomato plants. They are really becoming popular!

chef jules - thanks for the tip. I have started making the 24 hour yogurt from SDC.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home