Saturday, April 28, 2007

Lettuce 2007

This year I am growing many heirloom varieties of lettuce, including; Red Iceberg, New York Head, Bronze Arrow, Emerald Oak, Red Ridinghood, Barcarole, Butterking and Carmon Red.

Starting Lettuce from seed is done in 3 steps:

Step #1 - sow seeds directly into small flat. I use recycled food take out containers.


Step #2 - transplant on the diagional, spacing 2-3", into second larger flat. I use black plastic nursery flats, lined with newspaper.

Step #3 - transplant into permanent bed on the diagional. Planting on the diagional, allows you to fit more plants in less space, and it looks really neat and pretty when they fill in.


May 11 - The lettuce has filled in quickly, in only 2 weeks time, ready for first sping harvest. As you harvet the larger leaves, new leaves will continue to grow, for a long harvest season.

May 18 - Planted another lettuce bed this week. Red Ridinghood, Barcarole, Carmona Red and New York Head

July 15th - started some more lettuce (and Chard) seedsI am out of lettuce now in the garden. I would have started some more sooner, except I was away for 2 weeks, and had to wait till I returned to get more seeds started. They do take a little more attention.

2 Comments:

At 10:10 AM, Blogger Angie said...

I just wanted to pop in and let you know that I LOVE your blog. It is one of the few that actually tells you how to 'grow' from seed to harvest, and being such a novice, I need all of the help I can get. :D Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience with us, and keep those posts coming!
Angie
www.threadcatcher.blogspot.com

 
At 8:04 AM, Blogger Jeanne said...

Thanks Angie - its a great reference for me too, I can look back, and see what method worked best for what plant. It's too hard to remember all this stuff.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home