Monday, April 10, 2006

First Spring Plantings

Finally, after a few days of sun, I was able to double dig one of my raised beds, and plant some of my lettuce seedlings. That's one of the benefits of raised beds, they dry out more quickly, allowing me to get started on planting soon after a rain.



On February 2, I broadcast these lettuce seeds in a flat, then on February 17, I transplanted them into a second flat at 1 1/2" diagional spacing, then on April 8, I was able to transplant into this raised bed (they were ready to go out sooner, but the rain prevented me from planting). That was 2 days ago, they look like they are happy. The varieties are Tom Thumb, Jericho, Sweet Valentine, and Winter Density.

I bordered the bed with Calendula Antares Flashback (started from seed on 2/6), and at the north end I transplanted some dill (started from seed on 2/8).

This is my first try at diagional planting. I like the way it looks. And you can fit more plants, in less space. I learned the technique at a class I participated in this winter at Commom Ground in Palo Alto called The Art of Organic Home Farming. It was based on Biointensive principles. If you live locally, check out their schedule of classes. They also carry a large selection of organic heirloom seedlings from local growers, and many other good things for your garden.



I couldn't resist getting some tomatoes in a wine barrel. There's a Black Cherry, Chadwicks Cherry and Yellow Pear. I started them from seed on 2/6. I put a few calenduals around the southern border for color.





I still have all these seedlings to be planted out over the next month!

2 Comments:

At 10:59 AM, Blogger Farmgirl Susan said...

They definitely look like they are happy! Great photo. I just found your blog through Garden Voices. (I'm a new garden blogger, too.) Looking forward to more e-visits to your garden. : )

 
At 1:29 AM, Blogger Sigruns German Garden said...

That looks very good. Today it is cold an rainy in Germany!

Sigrun

 

Post a Comment

<< Home