Friday, April 07, 2006

Strawberry Fields Forever

well, at least a strawberry bed with ever bearers, Seascape in particular.



Ever bearers will produce berries throughtout the growing season, rather then in one or two harvests, which I thought would be best for my home garden. We can just pick and enjoy them every day! I like to put up some jam every year, but I can get those by the flat from my local farmers market, organic too.




This is how the strawberries arrived in the mail, they are bare root.

To plant, you dig a trench on both sides of your row, placing the root ball on top, in between the trenches, with the roots drapping down into each trench, then fill the trenches to cover the roots with soil.

Plant them 12" apart so the leaves of each plant will just barely touch at full size, and create a living mulch over the soil.



I planted these on February 12, they started to flower by March 20, but I picked off the first set of blooms to encourage more green growth, some are just starting to flower again.



Strawberries don't need staking/support. I am only trying to deter the chickens from kicking around in that bed. The copper barrier around my beds will keep the snails out.

Update, May 12



First ripe Strawberry (almost)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home