Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Scallions......

are one of my favorite things to have growing out in the garden. I like to just go out and pick what I need, when I need it, and it seems like I always need scallions (lettuce and carrots too). In the winter, keep them under Reemay Cloth and you can pick them everyday of the year, in the San Francisco Bay Area.


I started germinating these on 4/1 using Uncle Tom's Method. The seeds are so tiny, but they are really easy to work with. I use a bambo skewer to lift them off the coffee filter and drop into the dixie cup.








On 4/9 I transplanted them into dixie cups (don't forget to put a hole in the bottom for drainage). I put about 3 in each cup, then put a little soil on top. They will be ready to plant outdoors in about 6-8 weeks.








Treat Leek seeds in the same way.

Scallion Update
April 17


See them coming up through the soil (click on the image to make it larger). Amazing! I'm sorry, I am just so excited. My attempts to start most things from seed in the past have not been successful, so I had to depend on store bought seedlings. No more. Thanks again Uncle Tom.



UPDATE: JUNE 15

Transplanted scallions into bed #4.

2 Comments:

At 6:34 AM, Blogger Leslie said...

Came your way via Providence Journal ... This is great ... you are 4 weeks ahead of me and I can just copy all your tricks ... like sprouting leek seedson coffee filters. Thanks

 
At 7:20 PM, Blogger Jeanne said...

Great, you should have much success with this method. Let me know how it works out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home